King Cake Monkey Bread Recipe
Bring Mardi Gras into your kitchen with this King Cake Monkey Bread. The pull-apart goodness is sweetened with Swerve, meaning it’s an indulgence that’s not going to spoil your New Year’s resolutions. It’s also keto and gluten-free, making it a dessert everyone can enjoy.
- Monkey Bread
- ¼ cup milk or unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups almond flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened whey protein powder
- 1 cup coconut flour
- ½ cup Swerve, Granular
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon xanthan gum
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cold
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- Cream Cheese Glaze
- 4 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- 2 tablespoon butter (room temperature)
- 1/3 cup Swerve, Confectioners
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup Swerve, Granular
- Natural food coloring (like McCormick's Nature's Inspired Food Colors): yellow, green, red, and blue
- For the Monkey Bread: Preheat oven to 350F and grease a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray or butter. In a small bowl, combine 3 tablespoons Swerve, Granular and cinnamon. Whisk to blend and set aside. Combine milk and vinegar in a small measuring cup or bowl. Stir and set aside.
- For dough, combine almond flour, coconut flour, protein powder, Swerve, Granular, xanthan gum, baking powder and salt; whisk lightly to blend. Cut cold butter into cubes and add to the dry ingredients. Cut in with fork or food processor until flour looks like corn meal. Add vanilla and eggs and mix in until well combined. Then add almond milk/vinegar mixture; stir until dough is uniform and can be rolled into balls.
- Use a cookie scoop or with a tablespoon, roll gently into a ball shape. Give each dough ball a good roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture, then place in the prepared pan, filling the pan evenly with dough balls. Sprinkle 2-3 tablespoons of leftover cinnamon/sugar coating over the top of the dough in the baking pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Allow monkey bread to sit in the baking pan for about 10 minutes before turning it out onto a serving dish or plate. To do this, place the plate upside down on top of the baking pan, and (while wearing oven mitts), quickly turn the plate and baking pan upside down. Your monkey bread should release from the pan without a problem.
- For the Cream Cheese Glaze: Place cream cheese and butter in a bowl and beat until smooth. Using a sifter, add Swerve, Confectioners and whisk until creamy. Add milk and vanilla, and whisk until combined. Note: If glaze is lumpy, blend in a blender or food processor.
- Gently spread cream cheese icing onto Monkey Bread, then add Swerve sprinkles.
- For the Sprinkles: Divide 1/3 cup granulated Swerve, Granular across three medium to small bowls. Add yellow food coloring to one bowl and mix with a fork until the Swerve is completely yellow. Repeat with green and purple (equal parts red + blue) coloring to the other bowls.