Pumpkin Lentil Soup Recipe
It's fall, and that means pumpkins galore! This hearty recipe is super healthy and just happens to be vegan. You can even have fun customizing the toppings. This is sure to be a family favorite season after season.
- 1 small onion, red or yellow, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry red lentils, rinsed
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin purée
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- In a pot over medium heat, sauté onion with oil (or omit if oil-free) until soft. Add garlic, and other desired spices and sauté for another minute.
- Next add red lentils and pumpkin purée. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, or until lentils are softened and easy to mash. For additional flavor, squeeze fresh lemon juice into the broth and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When ready, using a blender or immersion hand blender, blend until smooth, or leave slightly chunky if you prefer.
- Garnish, with toasted pumpkin seeds, extra crack of black pepper or a swirl of non-dairy cream or yogurt to finish.